The epee, pronounced as “EPP-pay” is actually a descendant of the dueling sword.
Features of foil weapon –
- Like foil it is 35 inches in length
- But it is heavier than foil, weighing approximately 27 ounces
- It has larger guard to protect the hand from a valid hit
- A stiffer blade
Target area of Épée weapon –
- The entire body is valid target area
- Touches are scored only with the point of blade
Uniform of a Épée fencer –
- It includes a metallic vest which is also called Lame. It covers the valid target as explained above. The metallic vest would help register weapon tip touch on the scoring machine.
- The blade is wired with a spring loaded tip
- Player needs to press it beyond a pressure of 750 grams to complete the electrical circuit
- The process of pressing the tip to complete the electrical circuit would cause the colored bulb on the scoring machine to light
- Epee fencer’s uniform does not include a lame or torso jacket because entire body is valid target area
- Also off-target hits do not register on the machine